Tuesday 19 February 2013

Find rest in Him

It's that time of the year again - cram time. It dawned on me yesterday that midterms are in less than a week. I never used to get stressed about exams - I was one of those kids that didn't study at all in high school and still got As - but now, I guess reality is finally catching up. Gone are the days of not studying. Hello one-week-before-exams-and-i'm-stressing-like-crazy.

Jesus reminds us to find rest in him.

"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light." <Matt 11:28-30>

I read this recently..

"Worry implies that we don't quite trust that God is big enough, powerful enough, or loving enough to take care of what's happening in our lives. Stress says that the things we are involved in are important enough to merit our impatience, our lack of grace towards others, or our tight grip of control.
Basically these two behaviours communicate that it's okay to sin and not trust God because the stuff in my life is somehow exceptional. Both worry and stress reek of arrogance. They declare our tendency to forget that we've been forgiven, that our lives here are brief, that we are headed to a place where we won't be lonely, afraid, or hurt ever again, and that in the context of God's strength, our problems are small indeed." <Crazy Love - Francis Chan>

"Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." <Matt 6:34>

"Do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes? Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life?" <Matt 6:25-27>

No comments:

Post a Comment